2019 PRSK AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
CALL FOR ENTRIES
NAIROBI, KENYANOVEMBER 22ND 2019
The Public Relations Society of Kenya is now accepting entries for the 2019 PRSK Awards for Excellence.
The Public Relations Society of Kenya (PRSK) Awards for Excellence, established in 2000, recognizes and celebrates each year the outstanding achievements of public relations and communications practitioners. The PRSK Awards for Excellence are open to members and non – members drawn from business enterprises, associations, private and government bodies and students pursuing public relations studies. The PRSK Awards reflect the level of competitive services offered in the Kenya public relations and communications industry. By submitting entries to the competition, you assent that you have read and agree to abide by these terms and conditions.
Count down to 2019 PRSK AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE CEREMONY
The PRSK Awards for Excellence are guided by the below principles:
- Create a platform to honor and recognize outstanding contributions in the public relations and communication management industry in Kenya.
- Honoring leadership, service, knowledge and practice in public relations and communication management.
- Promoting the good name, image and reputation of PRSK through open communication about the awards, the selection criteria and judging process.
|Stage 1||Launch of awards guidelines||20th September|
|Stage 2||Review of award guidelines and compilation of entries||20th September – 28th October|
|Stage 3||Final day for uploading and handing over of entries to PRSK||28th October|
|Stage 4||Judging and evaluation of nominated entries||30th October – 9th November|
|Stage 5||PRSK Awards for Excellence ceremony||22nd November|
All award entries must be submitted to PRSK through its online portal. Entries must be public relations campaigns that were conducted between 1st September 2018 and 31st August 2019 by an entrant based in Kenya. An entrant may submit an unlimited number of entries.
The following are the open competitive awards categories for the 2019 PRSK Awards for Excellence:
1 Consumer Relations Campaign of the Year
This award recognizes the most effective and outstanding campaign that supported the marketing of consumer products or services. Judges will look at evidence of research, clear objectives, execution, the specific role and overall contribution played by PR in the success of the campaign, evidence-based results of sales or usage.
2. CRISIS AND REPUTATION MANAGEMENT
This award recognizes the most effective issues, crisis or reputational management work by an agency or corporate PR team, or a combination of both. Judges will look at the effective communication in the context of an issue, crisis or reputational management. The objectives, research and strategy as well as implantation of tactics and how negative impacts were avoided, positive achieved and improvements made.
3. CORPORATE PUBLICATION OF THE YEAR
This award recognizes corporate publications produced by or on behalf of an organization, printed or electronically produced that showcase excellence in communication. It may be targeting an external audience or internal stakeholders to meet specific PR objectives. Details of systematic planning and budgets should include a breakdown of all relevant stakeholders and audiences.
4. FINANCIAL COMMUNICATION CAMPAIGN
This award recognizes the most effective on-going campaign or one-off project in the financial sector primarily targeting investors or other financial industry audiences. Winning entries will have to demonstrate effective PR engagement and efficient sharing of financial information, making meaningful and measurable contribution to an organization’s bottom-line hence reducing uncertainty and building market confidence.
5. INTERNAL COMMUNICATION CAMPAIGN OF THE YEAR
This award recognizes an outstanding internal communication campaign that has engaged internal stakeholders such as communicating a merger, change management, rebranding, restructuring, or other issue/problem of an internal communications nature. Judges will recognize excellence in engagement that inspires action and drives the employee experience forward through on-going strategic relations to promote organizational objectives.
6. Media Relations Campaign of the Year
This award recognizes the most effective and successful use of media relations in a wider public relations context that meets client and/or campaign objectives. Judges will be looking for evidence on budget, strategy and tactics, including creativity and innovation and how it influences and changes behaviour among the target audiences. Entries must display how the campaign met the projects objectives.
7. Not for Profit Campaign of the Year
This award recognizes the most effective work for or by a charity, voluntary or non-profit organization for fundraising, or in changing/enlisting political, public, or corporate opinion. Judges will be looking out for clear campaign objectives, budget, audience insight, innovative and inventive execution and evidence based results. Particularly, attention should be paid to the impact and cost effectiveness of the campaign, and in the case of fundraising activities to the monies received set target.
8. New media PR Campaign of the Year
This award recognizes the most successful campaign in creation of omni-channel digital content across different digital platforms and devices, which enhances meaningful target audience engagement. Judges will look for the best use of digital platforms to execute/support PR campaign across multiple channels or in one particular channel where the campaign excelled. Judges will also look at a clear research, approach and execution with tangible results of digital strategies across platforms.
9. PARTNERSHIP ENGAGEMENT INITIATIVE OF THE YEAR
This award recognizes public sector agencies – government ministries, departments, parastatals and local authorities – for collaborating across skills and geographies to create tangible success for a campaign/project. Judges will be looking at a campaign that successfully integrates a number of public sector organizations working in partnership to achieve a joint goal.
10. Public Affairs Campaign of the Year
This award recognizes the most effective use of PR to change/enlist political and/or public opinion utilizing public affairs tactics. Judges will be looking for evidence of work in research, media relations, grassroots community activity, lobbying and the distinct role and evidence-based results of public affairs and lobbying.
11. Public Sector Campaign of the Year
This award recognizes the successful use of PR by public sector agencies – government ministries, departments, parastatals and local authorities. This award will be given for the most effective campaign or communications programme on a single topic e.g. health, road safety, crime etc. Judges will be looking for evidence of work in research, clear objectives, execution and evidence based results.
12. PR EVENT OF THE YEAR
This award recognizes the most effective and innovative PR/communication strategies, striking PR event of the year. Judges will look at the campaign effectiveness including messaging, target audience, event size, event activities, cost breakdown, and whether it was part of a campaign or a stood alone project.
13. SOCIAL INVESTMENT CAMPAIGN OF THE YEAR
This award recognizes a campaign or project that utilizes or integrates a social responsibility to promote or enhance corporate reputation, employee retention and customer loyalty. The judges will look for evidence of research leading to CSR campaign, clear objectives, execution and evidence-based tangible benefits to the society.
This award recognizes an entry – from all winning categories entries – that exhibited outstanding creativity in public relations as well as campaign outcomes and or impact. It will have displayed to the judges the following:-
- Use of public relations & communication research to set campaign objectives.
- Ground communication strategies on SMART objectives and sound evidence.
- Alignment of the campaign with business/policy objectives.
- Strengthened capacity within the organization (including skills, information systems and decision-making).
1 Young Communicator of the Year
This award recognizes full time undergraduate students pursuing public relations or related courses who display their vision to advance the PR profession. Entrants will be required to design a public relations campaign based on a theme of their choice. The entrants must attach a letter of proof from their learning institution with their entries. Group entries will not be accepted. Interpretations will be judged based on: originality of concept, initiative, drive, excellence pursuit; understanding of the topic, defining the target audience; formulation of campaign, implementation; budget formulation, communication strategy; measurement criteria of success of the campaign; overall creativity, research carried out; and grammar usage, illustrations.
2. Young PR Professional of the Year (In-House)
This award recognizes PR professionals within in-house departments who turn 28 years old or under 28 as of August 31st 2019. Nominations are accepted from employers, who should include details of the nominee’s career history, their exact age, and professional qualifications. Judges will look for evidence of outstanding achievements in handling PR campaigns, showing strategic skills and creativity, relevance to brief and results. They will also look for evidence of the nominee’s ability and willingness to extend their range of PR skills. Please include client testimonial(s) as support material.
3. Young PR Professional of the Year (Agency)
This award recognizes PR professionals within PR consultancies who turn 28 years old or under 28 as of August 31st 2019. Nominations are accepted from employers, who should include details of the nominee’s career history, their exact age, and professional qualifications. Judges will look for evidence of outstanding achievements in handling PR campaigns, showing strategic skills and creativity, relevance to brief and results. They will also look for evidence of the nominee’s ability and willingness to extend their range of PR skills. Please include client testimonial(s) as support material.
4. PRSK Golden Honours Award
This non-competitive award recognizes a PRSK member(s) who significantly contribute to advancing PRSK’s objectives. It is the Society’s highest individual and lifetime achievement award. The member (s) must have made a major contribution to the profession, has inspired fellow practitioners professionally and personally, has increased the common good and reflected credit on the Society. To avoid conflict of interest, sitting officials and committee members of PRSK are not eligible to receive this award during their term in office. The award will be given at the discretion of the PRSK Council who will make nominations and endorse such nominations. The award is not contestable. The recipient of this award will exhibit high levels of achievement in the industry; service to the Society through his/her professional achievements; experience and reputation in the profession; effective participation at Society’s activities; recognition through awards and accomplishments of relevance; and finally display leadership qualities in the Society. Entrants are welcome to make nominations to the PRSK Council.
5. PRSK Shepherd Honours Award
This non-competitive award given at the PRSK’s Council discretion recognizes outstanding support rendered by any organization towards the development agenda of the Society and by extension the public relations industry.
All the competitive entries will be evaluated based on their competence in the following areas.
|Section||Key Issues||Max. Score|
|Background Statement||· Has the entry provided an introductory statement about the organization for which the campaign was conducted?
· Has the entry explained why this PR campaign was initiated and its strategic importance to the organization?
|Statement of the Problem||· Has the entry stated why it should be considered worthy of an award?
· Has the specific problem or opportunity addressed by the campaign been clearly explained?
|Research||· Was research done prior to designing the campaign?
· Is there evidence that the campaign strategy was informed by research findings?
· Is there evidence that the messaging was informed by research findings?
· Is there evidence that the selection of channels was informed by research findings?
|Planning Process||· Are the goals of the campaign clearly stated?
· Are the objectives of the campaign SMART (i.e. is there a measurable criterion for the achievement of short term or long-term outcomes)
· Are the campaign strategies informed by any PR or communication theory?
· Is there a clear campaign action plan that demonstrates creativity and originality?
· Have the publics to be reached and actions desired of them been clearly defined?
· Were the messages to be communicated to the publics clearly framed?
|Execution||· Was the implementation and communication in line with the original campaign action plan?
· Was the campaign implementation creative and original?
· Were variations to the plan introduced during its implementation. Why or why not? Please justify.
|Evaluation||· Is there evidence of output-evaluation based on tactics?
· Is there evidence of outcome-evaluation based on set objectives?
Please note that PRSK does not endorse “advertising value equivalency”, “impressions” and “opportunity to see” as tangible results. PRSK endorses the use of The Barcelona Principles to showcase effective public relations and communication measurement.
All awards entries and supporting documents must be uploaded onto the PRSK Awards Online Platform. The entries file size must not exceed 20MB. Entrants are encouraged to create a Root File (campaign name) and sub files (award write up, award supporting documents and Video summary) which will be converted into a zip file and uploaded onto the platform (should you require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact PRSK via email (email@example.com). All entries must be submitted on the online portal in clearly marked folders as below:
- Award Write Up – Word and PDF
- Award Supporting Material – Client endorsement letter, photos, video, media releases and others up to 20MB
- Award Video Summary/Advertisement/Infomercial
All confidential information included for the benefit of the judges should be clearly identified as such and will not be disclosed.
All entrants are called to the below additional information
- Clients must be made aware in advance of any entries that refer to them and the judges will require, in a letter, evidence of client endorsement.
- All submissions become the property of PRSK and will be used for publicity or education purposes. Entries may be used for editorial in PR Digest. Entries cannot be returned.
- Organizations or individuals can put in the same campaign across different categories i.e. ABC Product Launch – Media Relations and Event of the Year Category. Additional Entries of the same campaign across other categories will attract a 50% charge and not the full entry fee.
- The judges may move an entry to another category if they deem it appropriate.
- The Judges’ decision shall be final and there will be no appeal. By entering this Award, the nominee has accepted the rules and conditions of the Award without any reservations.
- If a worthy recipient is not identified for any particular award, the award is not given. Where a category attracts only one entry, the campaign will be declared a winner if it attains a 90% and above weighted score
- For the competitive fields, please indicate the category under which you wish your entry to be considered in the entry form.
- Organizations or individuals may enter any number of categories as they see fit.
The 19th PRSK Excellence Awards will be presented on Friday 22nd November 2019 from 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm in Nairobi.
The judges’ verdict in each category will be revealed at the Gala event. Only the WINNING entries will receive a custom designed PRSK trophy and certificate. Winners may later request for duplicate trophies at a fee. A certificate of participation will be handed to organizations who do not emerge as winners.
Reservations must be fully confirmed and paid for on or before Friday 8th November, 2019. No tickets will be sold at the entrance and no bookings will be accommodated after the deadline provided.
All entries must be accompanied with their respective category entry fees. All payments must be received by 28th October 2019 at 5:00 pm. Entries not accompanied by payments will be returned to the entrant.
|PRSK MEMBERS ENTRY FEE
(For individuals who are members or organizations that have an individual/s who is/are a member of PRSK).
|Non PRSK Members Entry Fee
(For individuals and companies who are PRSK non-members)
|ADDITIONAL ENTRIES OF SAME CAMPAIGN ACROSS DIFFERENT CATEGORIES|
||50% of respective entry fee|
|AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE DINNER Fee|